A Brief History
In 1892 the Rev Canon H. B. Carr, rector of Whickham opened negotiations with Sir Henry A Clavering in order to purchase a small amount of land, including an existing building known as Claxton Hall, for the purpose of opening a small mission in Swalwell village.
In 1893 Rev Carr left the property and land to a group of trustees with a view to building a new parish church.
The new church was built, linked to Claxton Hall, which later became known locally as the Church Hall and on the 15th December 1905 the church was consecrated. The first baptism took place later that month on the 21st, and the first marriage took place on the 22nd February 1906.
The church was built joined to a row of houses, now demolished, leaving a gable end to the church on the east side.